Monday, December 19, 2011

Walnut Snowball Cookies

Walnut Snowball Cookies

Christmas is not a time or a season but a state of mind.
To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy,
is to have the real spirit of Christmas. ~Calvin Coolidge

Can you say "addictive"?  Get into the holiday spirit and bake some snowball cookies with me!
This is my great-grandmother's recipe and was my all-time favorite Christmas cookie when I was growing up.  It is an absolute staple in my world at this time of year.  I grew up baking these every year with my mom and now that I'm a big girl I have kept the tradition going :o)   We always made these cookies with walnuts, but pecans are also customary.
Here's to tradition!

I know everyone is busy around the holidays so I'm going to keep this short and sweet and just let you get your bake on! 

 
INGREDIENTS:  

 (If you have a big crowd, double the recipe)

1 cup shortening
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
2 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans, hazelnuts, etc.)

PREPARATION:

 Cream shortening and confectioners sugar.

Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Roll into 1 inch balls and bake on lightly greased cookie sheet (or use non-stick baking mat or parchment paper)

Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes. 
 
 Roll immediately in confectioners sugar.  Cool cookies on wire rack.  Roll again in confectioners sugar, if desired.


Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails