Sunday, November 13, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup (slow cooker)

Pin It

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Just a reminder, faithful followers, I have a new and improved website now for Wishes and Dishes.  I will eventually be phasing this one out and solely posting on the new site.  So, for the good stuff, click on over to the new page (which I'm extremely proud of!):  
http://wishesndishes.com/

'Tis the soup season!  I have been wanting to make a meal like this for a very long time and it was finally "weather appropriate".  With the cold days of winter coming in, what better meal than a warm bowl of potato soup?  Here is a simple recipe on how to make it homemade, and trust me, you will not be disappointed.
While looking up different recipes, I realized they are all a little bit different.  I noticed that while the main ingredients were the same, different people added different things for the flavor!  So from a few different recipes, plus some ideas of my own, here is my spin on Potato Soup!
  This soup is totally complete with meat and vegetables.  You can leave out the bacon (as garnish and in the soup itself), but I found it gave it SO much flavor!  This can most definitely be a meal in itself or will make a delicious and elegant starter course for a formal dinner!  The recipe makes a TON and leftovers are magnificent. :o)  
Mr. Wishes, who is a self-proclaimed soup hater, gobbled this right up!  I just got excited to use the word "gobble" in this post to honor the up and coming Thanksgiving holiday!  Wow, I need a life! (ha ha)



 INGREDIENTS:  
 
6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used Russet)
  1/2 large onion, diced
1 quart chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup unsalted butter
8 strips of bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste


1 cup cream or 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Garnish: chives, green onions, sour cream, bacon, cheese. Top it just like a baked potato!


PREPARATION:
 
Cook up the bacon and crumble (if you are feeling lazy you can buy the precooked bacon!).  *Cooking some bacon in the soup really gave it amazing flavor*


Combine first 8 ingredients in a large slow cooker and cook on high for
3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours (make sure potatoes are tender).  Mash potatoes until coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.


Stir in cream and cup of cheese in the last half hour of cooking (just stir and cook on low until all is blended - dairy gets funny and starts to break down when it is cooked too long). Garnish with toppings of your choice.


*Serve with cornbread or beer bread! Delicious!*

11 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I'm always looking for easy slow cooker meals - they're great for those days when you're short on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks wonderful! Potato soup is such a great cold weather warmer and one of my favorites. I love the idea of making it n the slow cooker. Buzzed ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good soup for the cooler weather! If only I would get cooler weather - it's in the mid 70s right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure know how to make an irish girl happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely trying this. I love potato soup and I am always in need of more recipes for my slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soup is just the greatest during cool weather...looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore anything that is slow-cooker friendly lately. Might have to give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe! It's definitely soup season, and potato is one of my favorites! (can't comment with my wordpress for some reason by the way - I must be doing something wrong http://nycityeats.com/wordpress)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic - you can't go wrong with potatoes and bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous! My boys would love this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails